I will be working on a 1973 Super Beetle in this series. From the windshield forward it is a “Super Beetle”; Behind the windshield, it is just like a regular Beetle. The “Super” has a curved windshield, larger trunk area, different trim, and a strut based – redesigned front end. So this means, as far as the engine and rear focus areas of the car, you can use this for a Beetle of similar years.
Volkswagen designed the Super Beetle for the 1971 production year to keep Beetle sales going, while at the same time, trying to design a vehicle to replace it. They produced the “Super” in Germany for the US market all the way up to 1978, selling off the remainder in 1978-79; then shifted production to Brazil and Mexico, where it continued to be produced until 2003.
The “’73 Super” is not a desirable Beetle, and now I know why. It was a “one-off” year for VW as they tried new things that did not stick around to the next production year. This means that parts are hard to find, and if so, they are either really cheap or really expensive. I would recommend the ’75 and up Super Beetles, but you’d have to smog it in California, to which, Beetle engines are not environmentally-friendly. Do your research before buying a vehicle…
Though out the How To’s in this section, we are going to turn the Beetle on the left into the Beetle on the right, hopefully making a profit along the way. The table above is my recommended order of restoration activities to turn the project out properly and quickly. The table below breaks out the procedures by section and focus. Click on the focus element to go to that How To
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.
- Volkswagen Group strengthens HR team in key positions February 23, 2024
- Digital Art: Volkswagen Group is exhibition partner of the KW Institute for Contemporary Art February 20, 2024
- Volkswagen and Mahindra sign supply agreement February 16, 2024
- First retail partner receives new sustainability certificate designed by Volkswagen Group February 14, 2024
- Volkswagen AG and Volkswagen Financial Services AG with further credit rating in the A-category February 2, 2024
- Volkswagen Group establishes artificial intelligence company January 31, 2024
- Volkswagen Group strengthens its Technical Development Board function in China January 29, 2024
- Volkswagen Group posts solid growth in deliveries in 2023 and strong increase in all-electric vehicles January 12, 2024
- ‚Culture for everyone‘ at Neue Nationalgalerie: 1 year Volkswagen Group Art4All January 10, 2024
- PowerCo confirms results: QuantumScape’s solid-state cell passes first endurance test January 3, 2024